I had a challenging evening yesterday with my old workhorse wireless router, the D-Link DI-624 (rev. C). The trouble occured in two stages. I'll give the problems faced, and what solved them for me.
No Outside World
OK. So, I get one of Comcast's self-install kits, and follow the directions to the letter. I install their software on a laptop, hook that laptop directly to the cable modem, and voila! we have internet. Next, I hook up the router, and access it wirelessly from the same Vista laptop.Local Access Only and no outside internet. The little manual from Comcast is useless, but as many readers probably know, Comcast often requires the MAC address on the device connected to their modem to be the same as the registered device. Luckily, I think of this, and there's a configuration setting in the router firmware (I have the v2.76 on my router)to emulate any MAC address I want. I run "ipconfig /all" inside a PowerShell window and find the MAC address for the laptop's ethernet port. Once I've set this in the routers administration panel, I'm googling like a pro.
No Work World
Now, the whole point of getting this set up was so that I could connect to my work's VPN and work from home. I am in Tennessee, and they are in Washington. A good VPN link is my lifeline. Every time I go to log in to my company's VPN network, the DI-624 reboots and I lose the connection. In fact, everyone in the house loses internet connectivity for a moment. I search the internet high and low for a solution. No love. Then I notice something odd on my router. It's date and time are set to April, 2002, close to the manufacture date. That's weird. Hypothesis: Maybe the IPSec, etc. magic that VPN uses relies on an accurate time on your router. I set it to be the same as my computer's current date and time, and try again. Everything works!
Now I'm not sure of the exact reason this helped, so if anybody wants to leave comments linking the symptoms to the disease, I'd love to see them.